Monday, March 19, 2007

SP Alpha: Episode II

Hey, everybody. I picked up my barrel components yesterday at Home Depot. I bought two 10' pieces of 1/2" diameter electrical PVC (the only difference from the normal, gloss white PVC being a flat gray surface...which I suspect will take the primer better).



I also picked up a 24x24 inch piece of 1/4" plywood for the barrels' support/structure discs, and cut the discs out. The disc diameter I used is roughly 4.6 inches (nearly 12 cm). Unfortunately, there is some variation from disc to disc, but that shouldn't matter in the long run. I also cut a slightly larger section out to use as a template for the 'base' disc (the part that the barrel sections will fit into, not through...which will mount directly to the motor shaft and receiver). The size of the base disc template is 4.9 inches (12.4 cm), as of right now, though I may increase or decrease that number once I've chosen an adequate piece of wood to cut the actual disc from (something thick enough to seat the barrels at least 3/4" deep).




To make a template for barrel hole placement, use the instructions found here (that's what I did, making necessary adjustments for disc size). The 30°, 60°, 60°, 30° (starting at 180° from the x-axis) method seems to work very well, although I did change the distance from the discs' edge to 1 cm.


Here's a pic of my rough template:





Tonight, I sanded the discs down and rounded the edges somewhat. If you accidentally chip the plywood (which is very easy to do with a Dremel, so be careful) don't worry too much...makes for great weathering!


Soon I'll be ready to drill the holes in the discs and do a dry fitting, just to make sure everything lines up. Then I'll glue everything together and begin work on the AC to DC power conversion so I can test this beastie.


Oh, BTW...I just got my chest/butt armor in the mail today! Couldn't resist posting a few pics:









-Josh "Fordo" Ford
(a.k.a. Mand'alor on TDH forums)

No comments: